What Is This All About?

Suzanne and Hannah are spending their last week on the tiny and beautiful island of Culebra, Puerto Rico! We are sharing with anyone who's interested our everyday adventures.

Please enjoy our time with us, click on the "follow" link, pray for us, write to us, and let us know you're reading!

Suzanne and Hannah

Monday, August 15, 2011

Day Ten: First Day of School!


Wow!!! What a great day!


Twenty-seven students from six- to sixteen-years old in one school is a wonderful thing. I woke up before the alarm this morning, ready to get to it, feeling a bit anxious, wondering if I had prepared enough, and hoping Hannah would feel good about her first day. She certainly looked cute!!



Hannah in her First Day Outfit

We had a good breakfast of eggs and toast and then made our steep drive down the hill, arriving after Abbie around 6:45. It gave me plenty of time to be sure to get a few last minute things in place inside my classroom and look over my lesson plans again; it also helped Hannah to get herself together so her head was ready for this new experience.





All the Students in the Big Classroom

The Oldest Students Sit in the Back
We began the day all together in Abbie's classroom upstairs, which we won't typically do. However, she wanted to set some guidelines and make introductions, so that was the best way to handle it! Seeing all the kids in the classroom again was terrific for me. Guess that makes sense, though, huh?






The front of my room
A First Grade Desk that Hannah Painted!

Another First Grade Desk
 First Grade Desk
My Little Sopia Coming Down from the Big Classroom
We then headed to our separate classes/classroom and worked through our schedule. My day began with the little guys, who are in first grade. There are three in this group and we had a good morning. They aren't used to the structure we have because apparently the public school system here runs things much more loosely than we do. My three seemed a little surprised a couple of times when they realized that what I was asking them to do wasn't optional! I think, though, that within a short time they'll get the hang of it! As you can see, each desk is highly personalized because they're pretty old and they get a fresh coat of paint each year. Then Abbie allows a few students to help her over the summer to paint artwork on them. I am so proud of Hannah's work!


Jump-Roping at Break Time
Chatting at the Tables During Break
During break time and at lunch the kids all interact with each other so well, with the big kids helping the littler ones, and all of them joining in for jump rope, conversation, shooting hoops, or whatever. 
After lunch on Monday is when I will be doing the bulk of music teaching, so it will be a terrific way to begin each week. The kids are split into three age groups, which will be a nice way to teach them music and the day ended with music class for the eighth- through eleventh-graders. It rocked!

Four Kids in Four Different Grades...Awesome!

 

Cedric, Our Tallest Student! :)
 

Hannah and I were both pretty exhausted when we got home at around 4:20. I think it took more energy than usual because we're using so much brain power trying to keep up with the language and culture differences. As a result, we decided on an early supper of pita pizzas and we Skyped with Stan early, too. As a matter of fact, I was in my pjs by the time we Skyped at 4:30!

Thank you, God for a great first day of school. Today was a boost to my confidence, so I'm very thankful to have it under my belt! 

4 comments:

  1. It was so fun to actually talk with you tonight! It was perfect timing, I was having a pity party, and close to tears when you called. God's timing is so good. Love you, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Wife is a teaching STAR!
    I'm so proud of what you're tackling down there and know those kids are going to have an amazing experience.
    I'm so proud of Hannah for tackling the language and cultural barrier to share this time with her awesome Mom. You will be a great ambassador of friendship and model of good studenthood (okay, I know that's not a word...).
    ...Wish I could share the adventure!
    Love You Both Lots!!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne... This group I have this year is collectively under the false impression that most of what I assign them is optional! I am sloooooowly whipping them into shape. :)

    I soooo enjoy reading your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete

We would love for you to leave us a comment. We so miss our family and friends at home and it would make our day to hear from you!