What Is This All About?

Suzanne and Hannah are spending their last week on the tiny and beautiful island of Culebra, Puerto Rico! We are sharing with anyone who's interested our everyday adventures.

Please enjoy our time with us, click on the "follow" link, pray for us, write to us, and let us know you're reading!

Suzanne and Hannah

Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 24: Thinking About Irene

Irene Approaches

I think today it really sank in that we went through a hurricane (thankfully only category 1). Guess, then, it shouldn’t be surprising that our feelings have been on a roller coaster ride.

I have been writing my blog posts and storing them on my laptop so they’ll be ready for posting when we got our internet service back. Now that it’s back and I’ve posted everything, I realized I didn’t include any pictures of what we saw. Since most of the worst of it was here during the night, we obviously didn’t get any pictures while it was happening. However, the next morning on our way back to the house from Billy and Abbie’s safe haven we saw the “gifts” Irene had left us.

Fortunately, only about 17 people on the island asked for emergency assistance. After Hugo hit hard here in September of 1989, about 80 percent of the houses were flattened. Since that tragedy, stronger hurricane “proof” houses are more commonly built, so that benefited us this time around. (Of course, the house we’re in is wood, which is why we went somewhere else!) Plus that, Hugo was a category 3 or 4; Irene was only category 1.


The Road Home

More of the Road Home

Same Spot; Different Perspective

The Shoreline and the Muddy Waters Irene Left

Downed Tree and Debris Behind the School

Flamenco Beach's Parking Lot

Big Waves at Flamenco

Irene's Gifts at Flamenco

Drying Things Out on the Deck


Every Pair of Hannah's Shoes Were Soaked
From Rain Coming Into Her Room!!!


In looking at these pictures I now realize how miniscule they are compared to what really happened. The noise from the 55-mile per hour winds (with gusts of up to 80+ mph) was like a jet flying outside our window. The realization that rain could force its way through a wall is sobering.

Tonight after Hannah went to bed I heard her stirring. A few minutes later she was standing right behind me and burst into tears, expressing how much she misses Michigan. We sat together and snuggled for a few minutes while she talked about what and whom she really misses. My throat was tense from the lump in it. I have cried those same tears many times since our arrival. I think Irene has simply intensified those feelings.

Tonight I am thankful for my friends and family back home. I am so very grateful for your love, your notes, your comments, your Skypes, your facebook messages, your letters, your packages, and your prayers. We miss you. So very much.

Thank you, God, for giving us people who love us so. We are blessed. Lonely for them, but blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love for you to leave us a comment. We so miss our family and friends at home and it would make our day to hear from you!