What Is This All About?

Suzanne and Hannah are spending their last week on the tiny and beautiful island of Culebra, Puerto Rico! We are sharing with anyone who's interested our everyday adventures.

Please enjoy our time with us, click on the "follow" link, pray for us, write to us, and let us know you're reading!

Suzanne and Hannah

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day Nineteen


We were eating supper and I asked Hannah what her highlight of the day was. Her response was without hesitation: “I’m so glad the post office was open!” Since we have arrived, she has received a letter or card in the mail several times from several people. Every one of those has been read with great appreciation. She gets SO thrilled to get mail. Maybe one day I’ll get something, too…

She then asked me what my highlight was and my response was just as immediate! “I’m SO thankful we have electricity!” I told her. When it came on this morning at about 3 or 4 o’clock, I jumped out of bed (the lights came on in my bedroom) and ran to plug in my phone and laptop for re-charging! I breathed a sigh of relief that maybe our groceries would not spoil after all. I knew that today I would probably be able to talk to my husband, whom I miss terribly. Plus that, we wouldn’t be in the dark at school today and with electricity I would be able to use the keyboard for music class. Yes, with electricity there was so much to be thankful for.

At school, today seemed to be the day the kids’ lights came on with the routine. Students waited just outside my door until they were asked to come in; homework assignments were put on my stool at the front of the classroom; hands were raised (well, much of the time); and many students answered with their words rather than just shaking or nodding their heads.

After school I worked for a while as Hannah completed her homework and then we headed to the grocery store (and the post office!) in search of non-spoiled milk. All we could find on the island was a half-gallon of Lactaid for $5.99. I think we’ll be going easy on the milk this week!!!

As we were paying for our milk, it was so wonderful to have my phone ring and see my husband’s name show up! Then less than an hour later my brother’s name. Then a text from a dear friend. As I was hanging up, I realized the icon for voice mail is showing there are seven messages that must have come in while the phone service was down. I’m looking forward to listening to the voices of my wonderful friends and family after Hannah is in bed.

Today, there is much to be thankful for. It seems, though, that it boils down to the love that’s coming our way. Thank you, God, for those moments we get to hear the voices of people we love and miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love for you to leave us a comment. We so miss our family and friends at home and it would make our day to hear from you!